Nicole's Memorial Scholarship and a Wife?

May 6, 2009
This evening, we had the wonderful pleasure to attend the Yuba College Art Show and present the annual Nicole Bull Memorial Art Scholarship to an artist. When my sister left this world, her dear friend (and now mine) Erin initiated the Nicole Bull Memorial Art Scholarship at Yuba College, along with the fabulous Sara Sealander (art teacher at Yuba College). Erin and Sara do a tremendous job in raising money in Nicole's memory. I can't thank them enough. With the money raised in my sister's name, we then are able to award a scholarship annually to a Marysville High School student and Yuba College student that are pursuing the arts, just like Nicole did. I always love reviewing the art pieces submitted and reading about the artist's as well. It is always quite interesting to learn about another. The funny thing is - in almost every applicant for the scholarship, I find a piece of my sister in their world, whether it may be their views, travels, appreciation, loyalty, differences or complexity - I remember her...


Above is a photo of Chancellor, Gannon and Laurissa at the college. Chancellor and Laurissa are Erin's children. Nicole absolutely adored Chancellor. When he was a baby, she definitely loved that little guy with all of her heart.



Now the photo above is quite sweet. Gannon has a wonderful teacher at school that he is IN LOVE with. And I mean, IN LOVE!!!! His crush began small, but has grown tenfold. Her name is Miss Rebecca. One evening we were eating dinner with my parents and Papa asked Gannon, "How was school?" Gannon said fun - playing and coloring (the usual). Papa asked, "Was Chase at school today?" (Chase is G's best buddy). "Yep. I played with Chase and Evan and Ryan and Miss Rebecca." We all laughed because we were well aware of his crush. Dad looked at me and asked if Miss Rebecaa was married and Gannon raised his voiced and declared, "Yeah - to ME!!!" And there it was, Gannon's crush officially became a relationship (at least in his world). We shared this story with Miss Rebecca and she's a great sport. We love her because she loves our little guy and she is protecting (and holding) his heart. I couldn't ask for a better daughter-in-law. So, the above photo is Gannon at Yuba College posing in front of a piece of art at the art show. One of Miss Rebecca's friends drew her and when Gannon saw his wife on the wall, he insisted that I take his picture with her. How cute is he???!!!