'Tis the season for returning to the basics...

November 27, 2009




Years ago, my family and I would make a short trip to Sacramento the evening after Thanksgiving to watch the annual tree lighting ceremony in the downtown district of Sacramento. Every year the festivities grew, along with the crowd. The last time we all attended the tree lighting ceremony was at least three or so years ago. In the recent past, I had missed this ceremony because of our travels - but this year we were in town and decided to grin and bare the crowds for the name of a classic family Christmas celebration.

We were completely prepared for overwhelming crowds, confetti, fireworks, the whole show; similar to years past!! Surprisingly, very few people were in attendance and because of the little drizzle falling from the sky, Sacramento got the show on the road quickly. Santa arrived, they lit the tree, some fireworks were lit and off they were (out of the little bit of rain). No confetti falling from the sky, no performance from the Sacramento Ballet Nutcracker dancers, and barely any crowd singing Christmas songs all together.

Although it sounds slightly disappointing, it wasn't. It was wonderful not worrying about someone bumping Mila or stepping on Gannon. It was great to watch Gannon become both shy and excited at the same time when he first saw Santa Claus this evening. It was simply a great time that brought back a lot of memories of my parents, sister and I standing in a crowd of strangers singing carols together. My family has changed a bit since then. Moments like these make the loss of my sister sometimes unbearable, but seeing the reaction on my children's sweet faces when the tree lights turn on make going forward in this crazy world so beautiful.

Everything changes and change happens so very fast. It is my wish this Christmas to spend not money, but lots of time with those I love and cherish. It is my wish to relive the good old days of sitting by the fire at home playing games with my family. It is my wish to always see my family happy and healthy. It is my wish to de-stress and live simply again. 'Tis the season for returning to the basics...