The Good...The Bad...The Ugly...

May 18, 2008
The Good:
Today is a day that I will NEVER forget! Rich, Gannon and I started the day off well. We left the house around 9AM, went to Jamba Juice for a little pick-me-up and headed to Woodland to the Thomas the Train event. Our Thomas tickets were for the 10:40AM ride and we arrived just in time (around 10:30AM). Gannon had a pretty good time, but it seems that he has grown out of the Thomas obsession because he was much more excited about this event last May when we attended. Here is a photo of Gannon "driving" Thomas the Train and a photo of Thomas himself.
After his train ride we took our photo with Thomas, headed to the merchandise tent where Gannon got a new piece for his train set, and then went to the bounce house. Because it was so hot...we left around noon.

The Bad...
We walked to my car, which was parked on the street. Rich was putting Gannon in his seat and I was putting our purchased items in the back of the SUV when Rich said, "what is all of this black stuff all over Gannon's seat?" Little did we realize, our back passenger window of our car was shattered! Glass was everywhere! The worst part is that my purse was stolen. LLLLOOONNNGGG story short, the Woodland Police Department seems to think that we were watched and the theft knew exactly what he wanted because nothing else in the car was taken and my purse wasn't out in the open...I put it in under the back seat on the passenger side and covered it with a flap (part of the car). Plus, the windows are so tinted that you can't see inside.

The Ugly...
The worst part is that it wasn't just my purse (yes my Louis Vuitton!)- because we just returned from Hawaii I hadn't unpacked my purse, so all of our check books, Visa cards, debit cards, my social security card, Gannon's immunization card, my driver's license, cash and some VERY important jewelry were in there. The thief worked quickly...within one hour the individual that took my purse used one of my debit cards and a visa card at Target in Sacramento for a couple of purchases and at Wal-Mart in Sacramento for one purchase respectfully. We figure that the thief made about $5400 off of us within one-two hours and that doesn't include the cost of the window for my car. Below is a photo of Richard vacuuming the pieces of window after we were done making the Police Report. It was very dangerous for us to drive home with little pieces of glass flying around.

On a somewhat better note: the Woodland Police Department has been great to work with (I have faith in them) and both of our financial institutions have been extremely helpful.

I need to thank a gentleman, a father named Chris (works for Citrus Heights Police Department) who helped us tremendously that day. He and his 2 year old son were on their way home to his wife and 10-day old son/brother when Chris stopped to assist us by calling the Police Department for us and allowing us to use his cell phone to call our banks right then and there. He stayed at the scene with us for a little over two hours in the HOT sun. Chris certainly and quickly restored my faith in humanity. Thanks Chris.

So - for the next few days I will be busy running to the bank, DMV, Social Security, the Auditor's Department, dealing with the insurance company, etc., etc.